The United States Navy sails into Port Everglade for the 30th annual Broward Navy Days, aka Fleet Week, May 1 - May 8, 2022.
Following a two-year hiatus, organizers of the celebration to showcase the military to residents, have gone overboard to make its return one that is memorable and engaging. Adding to the patriotism waving over Fort Lauderdale and all of Broward County, Fleet Week coincides with the closing day of the Fort Lauderdale Air Show.
Fleet Week allows the public to “meet our sailors and Marines and just get a better understanding of what their Navy does day-to-day,” Rear Adm. Gary Mayes said.
Fleet Week lets visiting sailors and Marines enjoy local tourist attractions and engage in community projects. Over the course of the week, they will visit schools and veterans, attended a Miami Marlins baseball game, participate in fishing and golfing tournaments, and take part in various community service projects.
One of the most popular and highly anticipated experiences during Fleet Week are the Ship Tours. Taking place from 8am - 4pm and 6pm - 8pm, Monday, May 2 - Saturday, May 7 guests can tour the ships in small groups and learn more about the day in the life of a sailor, when inport and out at sea. Tour registration is required and registration opens on April 4, 2022 at 8 a.m. For complete details, visit browardnavydaysinc.org/ship-tours.
If you are unable to register for the Ship Tour, there are a dozen opportunities to welcome our sailors to Fort Lauderdale's shores, including six open-to-the-public, free Navy Band concerts. The full schedule of public events include:
SUNDAY, MAY 1
- Ship Arrivals 7 am - 9 am. Ships will parade south along Fort Lauderdale Beach and into Port Everglades
- Riverwalk Jazz Brunch 11 am - 1 pm. The Navy Band Southeast jazz ensemble will be featured performers at the free monthly jazz brunch at Esplanade Park in downtown Fort Lauderdale, Don't forget your lawn chairs or blankets. Hosted by Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale
- All Hands on Deck Welcome Ceremony and Navy Band Concert 6 pm - 8 pm. Las Olas Oceanside Park. The community will welcome the visiting Sailors and Coasties, followed by a free concert performed by Navy Band Southeast. Hosted by Fort Lauderdale Beach Business Improvement District
MONDAY, MAY 2
- Fleet Week Golf Classic 8 am - 3 pm. Plantation Preserve Golf Club. Sponsorship and playing opportunities are available. Presented by SRT Group
- Salute to Veterans 2 pm. Visiting Sailors and Coast Guardsmen will recognize the men and women who served in uniform before them during this ceremony at Port Everglades. Advance registration required
TUESDAY, MAY 3
- Spirit of America Concert 7 pm - 8 pm. Enjoy this patriotic concert by Navy Band Southeast at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, Free, and the public is invited to attend. Hosted by Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church
WEDNESDAY, MAY 4
- Navy Band Southeast Parade along A1A 5:30 – 7 p.m.
The parade route will start at Las Olas Oceanside Park at 5:30 p.m. and proceed north to Sunrise Boulevard. The band will stop for a song and photo opportunities at each Fort Lauderdale Beach dining establishment with a patio before marching on to the next location. Participants include: Elbo Room, Spazio, Haagen Dazs, Blondies, Solluna, Rock Bar, Cafe Ibiza, Drunken Taco, Cafe Del Mar, Burlock Coast, Casablanca Café, Lona Cocina& Tequileria, El Vez, Steak 954, S3 Restaurant, Evelyn's at the Four Seasons, Takato, Wild Thyme, Casa Del Mare, Morea, McSorley's, Kousine, El Taquito and Steelpan Kitchen & Bar.
THURSDAY, MAY 5
- Local Hospitality 6 pm - 9 pm. Local American Legion and VFW Posts host visiting Sailors and Coasties for an evening of food, fellowship, and war stories
- Navy Band Concert 7 pm - 8 pm. The Navy Band Southeast brass band will perform patriotic and popular selections. Free and open to the public at John Knox Village, Pompano Beach
SATURDAY, MAY 7
- Ship vs. Ship Beach Olympics 9 am - 11 am. Cheer on teams from the visiting ships as they compete in tug-of-war, volleyball, races, and other fun beach games. Fort Lauderdale Beach at SR A1A and Las Olas Blvd. Hosted by Fort Lauderdale Beach Business Improvement District
- Navy Band Concert 7 pm - 8 pm. Enjoy a concert by the talented musicians of Navy Band Southeast, Free, and the public is invited to attend. Las Olas Intracoastal Park at 200 Las Olas Circle. Hosted by Fort Lauderdale Beach Business Improvement District