Calendar of Events
Whether it’s a sunrise yoga class, beachside concert, or brunch with your best four-legged friend, you never have to go far to be at the heart of it all on Fort Lauderdale Beach. From early morning until late night, our calendar of events offers a little something for every interest and unique experiences welcoming everyone under the sun.
Our Events Calendar is Being Updated. Please visit our Facebook Page for happenings taking place along Fort Lauderdale Beach.
- This event has passed.
SOS Ocean Conservation Day
April 24, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pmFREE
Now in its 5th year, SOS Ocean Conservation Day, sponsored by Tortuga Music Festival, returns to Las Olas Oceanside Park on Sunday, April 24 from 10am – 4pm. The free, one day, outdoor event combines fun and educational programs for the entire family to bring awareness to our ocean.
The SOS Mission and event theme this year is, LETTUCE GIVE THANKS
100% of all profits from the silent auction will benefit the sea turtle feedings at the Marine Environmental Education Center at the Carpenter House – MEEC
“Many people are not aware of the ocean’s influence on us and our influence on the ocean and I wanted to do something that was inspiring for a younger generation because they’re the ones in line to inherit all these issues.” – founder of SOS Ocean Conservation Day, Lisa Miceli-Capano.
The day begins with a Morning Shoreline Cleanup hosted by Free Our Seas & Beyond from 9am-11am. All participants will receive a raffle ticket for the chance to win GA tickets to attend the 2023 Tortuga Music Festival
Within the SOS Ocean Conservation area, Ocean and Marine Conservation Groups and Local Businesses will engage with attendees through a variety of activities to educate the community on how to become more eco-friendly and help save marine life and coral reefs. Confirmed activities to date include:
Within the SOS Ocean Conservation area, ocean/marine conservation groups will engage in outreach with the general public about issues that could be addressed on a local level which we so desperately need: corals - manatees - lionfish - beach/ocean debris - sharks - sea turtles - manta rays - lobstering - water quality - wildlife rescue - mangroves - fishing regulations - ocean safety and more. Outreach for guests to include :
- Morning Shoreline Cleanup with Free Our Seas and Beyond, 9am - 11am sponsored by Rock The Ocean
- Free raffle for a chance to win GA tickets to the 2023 Tortuga Music Festival
- LIVE Trop-Rock and Island music by The Scuba Cowboy - Pup Morse
- Lauderdale Marina distributing free Brown Bags to help Ban-Plastic at the event
- Conservation groups educating the community on how to be more eco-friendly and help save marine life
- Free Sea Turtle Oversight Protection turtle tattoos
- Sharks4Kids shark cage photo booth
- Kids can crawl through Miami-Dade Sea Turtles interactive maze tunnel as a sea turtle swimming through ocean debris
- Coral Identification games with FLDEP / Friends of Our Florida Reef
- Live lionfish safety demonstrations by Charley Schram and Rosalie Opalka
- Grab a seat with IGFA to help create a mosaic "Plastic Portrait"
- Cast & Reel in a (toy) Shark with American Shark Conservancy
- Construct an "SOS Reef" out of LEGOs with UM Rescue a Reef Program
- Fort Lauderdale Police "Comet" Video Game Trailer and Police Marine Unit
- Photo-ops with live mermaids, Pirate Capt. Theo Jones and strolling characters
- Puckerup to kiss-a-shark in the SOS photo booth
- Take a photo on the Broward County Sea Turtle Conservation Program survey vehicle
- Create ocean animal arts and crafts with Oceana
- Make a recycled music maker and join in on a Drum Circle with FeminAfrika
- Interactive Areas - Arts & Crafts - Local Artists painting live - Pop-Up Art
- Live Jiu Jitsu demonstrations by Fort Lauderdale Jiu-Jitsu
- Collect outreach and educational materials as guests visit table-to-table
- Food booths & drinks
- Stay tuned for a possible Pelican release on the beach with South Florida Wildlife Center
- Free, eco-friendly, biodegradable giveaways and more TBA!
Together, we can change and work towards a clean, healthy ocean planet.
This years event will be plastic free. Event goers are encouraged to bring their own ocean-friendly drinkware to help continue the ongoing mission to ban plastic in our community. Additionally, Lauderdale Marina will distribute free brown bags to help ban-plastic at the event.