This fall, take an hour, or a day for yourself during Spa Chic Month – Greater Fort Lauderdale’s most sublime resort spas invite you to indulge in luxury for less. Restore yourself with the full Spa Chic treatment – aromatherapy massage, facial, loofah scrub and reflexology – all for just $99 (a 50% savings).
In preparation of the month long ooh’s and spa celebration, Travelhost Magazine asked some of our local experts and spa managers to share their health and beauty secrets so you can stay fit and feeling great all year-round.
Lauderdale Spa Chic Month is presented by the Greater Fort Lauderdale CVB
Marissa Aikens, Spa Manager • Spa Atlantic at The Atlantic Hotel and Spa
954.567.8085 • atlantichotelandspa.com
1. Sip Green Tea – Green Tea is full of catechins, a natural antioxidant. Drinking at least two cups of green tea a day will help protect the body against disease and illness, premature aging, assist in lowering cholesterol, weight management and improve bone health.
2. Lift Weights – It is a common misconception that women who lift heavy weights will drastically increase muscle mass leading to bulkiness. Women who pump iron have noticed increased energy, quality sleep, a curvier physique and improved heart, mental and bone health. More muscle also means more calorie expenditure.
Joanie Bowden, Director of Spa • bliss spa, W Fort Lauderdale
954.414.8233 • blissworld.com
1. Go Herbal – If you feel a cold coming on, consider Echinacea, a traditional remedy. The herb is known to reduce cold symptoms. Aim for three grams daily in tincture or capsule form, starting at the first sign of symptoms.
2. Energize Naturally – Hot or iced green tea can help rev up your workout. Its antioxidants and caffeine help increase the metabolic generation of heat. Drink a cup about 10 minutes before exercising for a natural energy boost.
3. Say Yes to Potassium – People whose diets are rich in potassium may be less prone to high blood pressure. Besides reducing sodium intake and other heart-healthy steps, eat foods high in potassium such as bananas, cantaloupe and oranges.
Mollie Albright, Spa Manager • The Ritz-Carlton Spa, Fort Lauderdale
954.302.6490 • ritzcarlton.com/fortlauderdale
1. Gain Endurance – Walking either in water, against the wind, or wearing a backpack burns approximately 50 more calories an hour.
2. Be Healthy the Natural Way – Eating your fruits and veggies can help the body produce its own form of aspirin. Your body takes the nutrients and creates the main ingredients in aspirin that make it an anti-inflammatory pain reliever.
Eduardo Cuevas, Spa Director • The Spa at Lago Mar Resort and Club
954.245.3632 • lagomar.com
1. Eat Your Peas – one serving contains 16 grams of protein!
2. Perfect Plank Position For Great Abs – Assume a push-up position, but bend your elbows and rest your forearms on the floor. Your body should form a straight line. Now tighten your core muscles and hold that position. Perform this exercise for 30 seconds.
Johanna Zambrano, Spa Director • Heavenly Spa at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
954.245.3040 • westinfortlauderdalebeachspa.com
1. Create a Routine – Looking to revitalize tired, dull looking skin? Wash your face every night and use an anti-aging serum overnight. Just like your body, the skin enters “repair-mode” at night, thus retaining the benefits of serums and anti-aging products.
2. Decongest – A wonderful homemade remedy for nasal and chest congestion is right in your refrigerator. Take a piece of ginger root and bring it to a boil, add a little honey and lime. Not only is this elixir great for congestion, but it also makes for a delicious drink.
Deborah Pollman, Spa Director • The Spa at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort
954.765.3032 • marriottharborbeachspa.com
1. Get Scrubbing – Items in your pantry can make an inexpensive, yet effective body scrub. Think sea salt mixed with a small amount of ground coffee and coconut oil.
2. Shake It Up – Your protein shake could be making you feel bloated. The longer you blend your shake the more air you whip into it and the more air you’ll swallow, so try not to over-blend. Skip pre-made shakes that contain ingredients such as: sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, maltitol syrup, lactitol, erythritol, isomalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates.
3. Stock Up On Cherries – Drinking tart cherry juice twice a day can help you sleep nearly 90 more minutes a night. Cherry juice is a natural source of the sleep-wake cycle hormone melatonin and amino acid tryptophan.
From Ina Lee, Student & teacher of meditation for 44 years and president of Travelhost Magazine, Fort Lauderdale
5 Easy Meditation Steps for Beginners
1. Try to meditate at the same time each day in a quiet place.
2. Sit comfortably with your spine erect. Close your eyes.
3. Simply notice your breath as you inhale and exhale. Don’t change your breath, just notice it.
4. As thoughts arise, go back to noticing your breath.
5. Do this practice for several minutes. Then gently open your eyes.