Holiday season is just around the corner and that means office holiday parties, football tailgate parties, parties with friends, big family meals at home, and big friend, family and coworker meals all around town. All those parties sure make for lots and lots of food and drink, which is why it’s not uncommon for a diet to be blown to bits.
In spite of all of the above, if you’d like to still be able to fit into your clothes after the holiday season – ahem – without having to sew in new elastic waistbands. And since Mother Nature does give us the gift of (perfect) cooler temps to tempt us get out and explore the great outdoors, we have a few ways to keep yourself active and burning calories like one of Santa’s elves.
- The best way to beat holiday pounds is to resist putting them on in the first place. Exercise moderation as you indulge; don’t let your eyes be bigger than your stomach.
- Go “Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother’s house…” or in this case Grandfather’s house – with a leisurely walk, bike ride, or tai chi class inside Fort Lauderdale Beach’s oceanfront gem, Hugh Taylor Birch State Park.
- Two wheel around town on an AvMed B-cycle Bike.
- Pop into a fitness center regularly. The Gym Fort Lauderdale Beach offers daily classes and short term passes, plus an unbelievable ocean view from their rooftop fitness center to keep you beach-body motivated.
- Three words. Jingle Bell Jog.
- Run. Eat. Drink. Repeat every Thursday during the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach’s Funky Fun Run
- Skip the holiday cocktails with your girlfriends and feed your souls instead at one of Fort Lauderdale Beach’s luxurious Spas or free Yoga classes on the sand.
- Make your New Year’s Resolution early to try a new sport! There’s no time like the present to take a kayak, paddleboard or diving class.
- Multi-Task while filling your holiday gift list every Saturday through December 17 and participate in the Galleria Mall Fort Lauderdale‘s Saturday morning Fitness Class Series
- Two thing you don’t often hear together are Ice Skating and Fort Lauderdale Beach – but alas holiday miracles do come true thanks to Hoffman’s Chocolates Panthers in the Park Ice-Skating Rink.
- Did you know one hour of dancing can burn anywhere from 370-680 calories and a Mojito caries only 168. You do the math while you’re shaking off those calories like a boss on the dance floor at Fort Lauderdale Beach’s nightclub, Rock Bar
- And lastly, a perennial favorite: play a few games of flag football on the sand or take a brisk walk along the islands 3-mile Wave Wall. With mild temperatures tempting you to get outdoors, December is the perfect time to enjoy your oceanfront backyard.